Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Rolling Stone Magazine


Back when I was growing up, I remember racing my brother to the mailbox to grab the new Rolling Stone magazine first. The two of us would sit down in the yard and read about what was going on in the life of great music. We would always challenge each other in the music trivia section and take score each month. But today's Rolling Stone has really disappointed me.
 
I began receiving Rolling Stone every month in college and it has made me despise today's popular music. Allow me to share what made the covers while it was forced on me: Obama, The Jonas Brothers, Robert Downey Jr. Anti-Bush comedians, Anti-McCain, Obama Again-AC/DC (oh yeah this is a music magazine), 100 Greatest Singers, Britney Spears, Brad Pitt, and last and definitely least Kayne West dressed as Jesus. Do not get me wrong, every magazine had a few good 'music' articles and write-ups on new bands, but 85% was either anti-Republican or top 20 bull manure. I love reading about politics, but not when it is completely one sided and does not look at both angels. I feel like they are forcing their opinions on me when all I want to learn about is music. I am not saying I dislike Obama or that Bush was the best President to ever live, but the magazine needs to learn how to respect the United States leaders. 
It has been their job to feature the days flavor of music (apparently politics and actors as well) in order to sell copies since 1967. I have trouble remembering the old days when the magazine focused on great musicians and bands. When Eric Clapton, Janis Joplin, Jimmy Hendrix and other ARTIST were on the cover. 
 
I remember enjoying the magazine and looking forward to the next issue, but now I do not even want to see who is going to be on the next cover. I see one of three things that has happened to change the magazine... 1) Whomever edits the magazine is pushing their own agenda on the public 2) They have changed their market to teeny boppers or 3) I am an idiot.
* If my mother has not been lying to me all my life, than it is either the first two choices.  

What happened to the great covers like the famous John Lennon and Yoko Ono spooning each other, Jimmy Page and Robert Plant jamming on their guitars together, or Tom Petty ripping a dollar bill?

No comments:

Post a Comment